Thankfully, Lakshmi kept her innuendo PG-13 as she told us her top cheap eats in New York City:
1. Two Boots. Her favorite slice? “A simple cheese pizza.” (Not the spicy Bird!?!?)
2. Vezzo, another thin-crust pizza joint, on Lex and 31st.
3. Saravana, “where you have dosas, in Curry Hill” (get it, rhymes with Murray Hill?) — “on Lex. It’s an area I eat in a lot because I shop at…”
4. …Kalustyan’s, a venerable Indian–Middle Eastern spice and specialty shop where Lakshmi is often spotted. “You can pretty much get everything you need for my book there.”
5. Kuma Inn, “Filipino tapas. They have this awesome Chinese sausage that I’m addicted to.”
6. Vegetarian Dim Sum House in Chinatown. Lakshmi even pulled up the address and phone number for us on her cute, slim BlackBerry … just before she pointed out that our fly was unzipped. “I’d want my friend to tell me,” she said. Us and Padma … friends? And over an unzipped fly? Wow! Tim Murphy